Since Roses for Autism opened its doors in 2009, more than 700 volunteers have blessed us with their time, their skills, their labor, and their love. Today it takes a village to grow a rose business right here in America, and we are grateful for every volunteer willing to work the farm so we can offer our customers fresh, fragrant, and full-blossomed roses 6 days a week!
Our volunteers have included:
- Individuals, such as "Auntie Phil" who graces us with her presence 2 days a week after a lifetime career as a waitress manager and travel agent, well known to local Guilford residents. Auntie Phil acts as our matriarch and shames all into having as much energy as she does! She is loved by all and we thank her every day for her support and bright smile she brings our way.
- Higher Educational Institutions, such as Quinnipiac University, where Professor Nancy J. Bagatell has developed an occupational therapy service learning class around the RFA program and sends students to work alongside our staff every fall to develop different approaches to job coaching. The last group of 4 students she sent our way wrote a poem that included the various colors of our roses and a one-line description about the uniqueness of each of our 16 varieties to help staff remember all.
- Vocational Schools, such as the Connecticut Floral School, which is sponsoring an intern who will be learning the floral trade right here at RFA - right when our need for extra hands at arranging flowers is at its height!
- Charity Organizations, such as New Haven United Way, which has hosted innumerable community service groups at RFA, from small businesses to large corporations. The New Haven United Way is an invaluable support when large projects come up in the greenhouse. Group projects have been as simple as weeding in-between the rose buckets, to moving 26,000 rose bushes form our large greenhouse to the smaller one in the Winter of 2011.
- Corporations, such as Unilever, which sent us countless volunteers one Valentine's Day and then made a generous donation to our cause.
Volunteering at Roses For Autism is a rewarding opportunity to gain community service hours for civic programs or just to give a little back on your own time. Whether you're an individual or leader of an organized group, please consider helping us:
- Clean, prep, weed, and plant in the greenhouse
- Assist at farmers markets and other local events
- Put together floral arrangements for special and corporate events
- And much, much more!
Interested? Contact Lori Gregan, Retail Sales Manager:
Phone: (203) 453-2186